We all know networking is important but as an introvert it honestly can suck and cause major anxiety. So, if that’s you, how do you conquer this skill? Here’s my top tips that have and continue to help me throughout my career.
1. Firm hand shake, eye contact, no gum! - self explanatory
2. Know your sh*t - when you know what your talking about it inside and out it is soooo much easier to present it when you’re put on the spot!
3. Take control of the convo - ask the questions! When you are leading the conversation and asking the questions you don’t have to worry about what’s coming next. Instead you can relax and focus on being present!
4. Ask them questions about themselves - people love to talk about themselves and it actually makes the conversation more memorable to them. Plus it takes the pressure off of you! win/win
5. Be yourself - don’t try to be the chattiest person in the room if that’s not your personality! Be confident in who you are and what you bring to the table. Chances are the real you is pretty great so let that shine!
6. Always be gracious. Please and thank you are not just something you learn as a kid. Manners matter! Especially when it comes to making a first impression.
7. BE BRAVE! When it comes to networking nobody is too important or too high up for you to introduce yourself too. Take a deep breath, fix your hair (if you have hair), and march yourself over to them and say hello.